Friday, June 25, 2010

26. Superlative Things (Negative)

Superlative normally has a good association. However today I shall be discussing it negatively. I shall try not to whine. 'Too' is not the first word that springs to mind when thinking of superlatives, and yet it is one of the most common. This has just occurred to me, and so I am moved to write about it.

Shortly the state of Ireland will decide that I am no longer too young to vote, drink, view 18s-rated material, or enter legal contracts. It is an odd feeling to have this privilege, something so many people (particularly those around me) take for granted approaching at such speed. And yet it is just an age. Just a number. A counter clicking up by another little increment (as a programmer, I know that can be very meaningful, but still). Therein lies the ultimate failing of the system. Should I be made to do everything (at least) a year later than all my friends even though we are at roughly the same state of maturity and intelligence, just because I started school at the age of 4 instead of the more-regular 5? I don't think so. I have experienced pretty much everything they have experienced. All they have on me is an extra year of toddlerhood, really.

Yes, all the arguments against me are there, but I think that there should be a better system for deciding when a person is ready to do something. I know more than a few 18-year-olds who aren't really mature enough to drink, for a start...but I digress. Perhaps a test of some sort? An authority who would decide? I don't know. But the classic 'get to this age and do what you want' thing is not to my mind an ideal model.

When I get to that age, I shall see, in any case. If I get there. Time moves alternately very quickly and verrrry slooooowly these days.

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday No.7 <--Wonder how long it is till you find this one? (think notifications may spoil the fun)

    ReplyDelete