Tuesday, October 27, 2009

9. Conventions, etc. (Positive)

I went to GaelCon in Dublin with GameSoc over the long weekend. Congratulations and thanks must go to UCD Games Society for their organisational skills.

It was amazing. I have never seen so many people so nerdy at once. Not that that's a bad thing. But it was a new experience, and strangely freeing. No-one there was remotely cool, but did they care? No. There was a grand camaraderie in the air. Everyone was only interested in having a fun weekend. The competition was fierce in the various gaming events (wargaming was very popular, as were collectible card games) but it was no less friendly for all that.

In particular, I enjoyed the tabletop role-playing game I played over the weekend. There is so much stigma attached to the dice-roll-y games, but it's all nonsense. They're fun even if it's your first time. No knowledge is presumed. The Game Master will tell you how to do everything, so there's no pressure. Acting out your character means it's far more involving than popular opinion would have you believe. And there's no need to dress up unless you really want to. That can confuse people. It's also a great way to meet new people or have fun with existing friends as I did. So I say this to you, my three or so readers who I probably meet every day: try a role-playing game when you get the chance. You may be pleasantly surprised.

In web-related news, I added an About page to the site. More specifically, I filled in some content to the empty About page. The website is really coming together now.

1 comment:

  1. I did actually, about 5 years ago the last time I was in UL. I used to roleplay with a group who ran D&D, Cyberpunk and, on occasion, Star Trek :p It's brilliant craic if you're with a good group of people and there's good chemistry.

    ReplyDelete